Why are Sunda pangolins endangered?
Also called scaly anteaters because of their preferred diet, pangolins are increasingly victims of illegal wildlife crime.
How many pangolins are killed each year?
The wildlife trade monitoring network TRAFFIC found last year that Indonesia, one of the last strongholds of the critically endangered Sunda Pangolin, is losing up to 10,000 pangolins a year to poachers.
How big can a pangolin grow?
Some species, such as the Long-tailed pangolin, have prehensile tails that help in climbing in trees and hanging from branches. When the pangolin’s tongue is fully extended, it can be up to 16 inches (over 40 centimeters) longer than its entire body length!
What are the 8 species of pangolin?
Asian pangolin species:
- Chinese or Formosan pangolin (Manis pentadactyla) – Critically Endangered
- Malayan or Sunda pangolin (Manis javanica) – Critically Endangered
- Indian or thick-tailed pangolin (Manis crassicaudata) – Endangered
- Palawan or Philippine pangolin (Manis culionensis) – Endangered
African pangolin species:
- Tree or African white-bellied pangolin (Phataginus tricuspis) – Vulnerable
- Giant ground pangolin (Smutsia gigantea) – Vulnerable
- Cape or Temminck’s ground pangolin (Manis temminckii) – Vulnerable
- Long-tailed or black-bellied pangolin (Uromanis tetradactyla) – Vulnerable